Director of Business Development
Headquarters: San Francisco, California
Are you seeking an opportunity to transform the innovation ecosystem and achieve impactful results for clients?
At Lean Startup Co, we’re seeking an experienced Director of Business Development with an entrepreneurial spirit, deep passion for innovation and a track record of:
- CREATING VALUE AND CONNECTION.
- You thrive in building meaningful client relationships by challenging your customer’s assumptions, busting myths, and connecting with our community.
- You're a dealmaker. You’re able to bring everyone together, come to an agreement, and move forward in a way that feels like a win/win for all parties.
- You nerd out on innovation, are excited to represent LSCo as an innovation authority, have a circle of influence and a track record of becoming recognized as an expert in your past roles.
- TAILORING YOUR OFFERINGS TO ACHIEVE BETTER OUTCOMES FOR CLIENTS.
- You’re excited to work in the consulting services space. You’re confident crafting and pitching new product offerings to existing and new markets and verticals.
- You see around corners. You understand the why behind the need and can share examples of unique offerings you’ve created for your customers and how you clearly communicated the value of the offering to achieve better outcomes.
- You have a bias for action with a proven track record of achieving measurable impact and progress for your clients.
Who we are:
Born from the global movement spawned by bestselling-author Eric Ries, Lean Startup Company offers a number of different education formats/options -- consulting services, training, coaching, and events -- for learning about Lean Startup principles, which provide a cutting edge, scientific framework for innovation. They’re a crucial set of management tools for the 21st century, designed to help organizations of all sizes build a scalable and sustainable future for themselves.
We provide year-round transformative practices focused on impact, outcomes, learning, and the mindset necessary to help companies thrive in a fast-paced environment. We serve every size company and sector of the economy — from the aspiring entrepreneur to high-growth startups, nonprofits, and large bureaucratic institutions. We support our highly-engaged community with professional, practical content, and live events and connect them with experts who can support them on their Lean Startup journey.
The position is a 100% remote, full-time role, with a competitive salary, health care coverage for employee and dependents, 401k plan and flexible PTO. We ask that you’re 1) located in the U.S. 2) available to communicate during Pacific Time business hours 3) able to travel extensively (up to 50%).
In this role, your primary goal is to develop new contacts, create and close more outbound sales opportunities, and ensure clients make real progress on the innovation journey. You’ll also be deeply involved in:
- Testing, reporting on, learning, and iterating on the outcomes of sales experiments and initiatives
- Helping to inform, create and refine Lean Startup education products
- Supporting leadership and measuring progress on sales goals including business development, sales planning and reporting, pipeline management and expansion opportunities.
- BA/BS in Marketing, Business or related field preferred. MBA or other-related graduate degree a plus.
- Proven experience contributing to the development of a sales system (preferably in professional services). You enjoy experimentation, trial and error, and trying new approaches in your work to see what works best.
- Experience speaking to and negotiating with C-Suite and/or senior leaders at medium to enterprise-level companies. You should have a proven track record of obtaining buy-in from senior leadership and executive-level stakeholders. You know what it takes to close a deal— from initial qualification and formal evaluation, through the negotiation phase. This includes pricing, legal, and procurement approval.
- Availability during regular business hours to schedule calls with prospects in varying time zones.
- Ability to travel up to 50% for prospect and client engagements as well as for team coworking and onsites
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, and you enjoy collaborating with a wide range of people.
- Familiarity with working remotely and collaboratively, as well as the tools to make remote collaborations successful (Slack, Zoom, Google apps, Notion).
- Experience with Salesforce.
You’ll fit right into this role and our team if:
- You believe in our mission and are excited to be part of a movement we believe can empower us all to solve the world’s biggest problems.
- You love the balance you’ll need in this role; a mix of big picture, strategic thinking, and rolling up your sleeves to dig into the details.
- You’re a communication master. You understand what it takes to communicate and thrive on a 100% remote startup team - avoiding jargon, valuing brevity in emails and speaking live when needed. You understand the importance of frequently, consistently, and clearly communicating blockers, impact, wins, and timelines.
- You are brave and bold, adaptive and eager to embark into unknown territory, seeing challenges as opportunities to grow and be better.
- You’re curious and resourceful. You have a bias for action, love solving problems, and are excited to practice Lean Startup methods in our everyday work.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and urgency as it relates to the health of the company.
- You possess high levels of integrity, autonomy, and self-motivation.
- You assume good intentions, are open to feedback, take ownership of your mistakes, and love applying your lessons learned to get 10x better.
- You have a keen ability to manage competing and changing priorities.
- You are assertive, fair, and capable of directing others and implementing projects with little to no supervision.
- You work well with cross-functional teams and hold yourself accountable for your actions.
- Familiarity with and enjoy working remotely and collaboratively (Slack, Zoom, Google apps).
Why You’ll Love Working With Us
- We encourage growth.
- If it’s your dream to become a leader in an organization, this is the role for you. We seek people who want to be promoted and grow with us.
- We believe in empowering you and arming you with the resources you need to excel in your role.
- We work hard while we’re in the office but also work hard to not bother you when you’re out. We encourage unplugging and prefer you don’t check email while you’re off the clock.
- Big impact.
- If you’ve ever wanted to be in the middle of a legacy-making organization, this position is for you. The work we do will go down in history as powerfully transformative.
- We are a startup with global brand recognition headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Our global community will give you a front row seat to the challenges they’re facing around innovation.
*Note - We understand that you are eager to hear back from us. We receive a lot of applications and cannot respond to all of them. Please do not reach out to us regarding your application. If there is a mutual fit, we will contact you to move forward with the next steps in the process.