Marketing Visual Designer
Headquarters: United States
You probably haven’t run into a company like Olark before. We are a small, fully distributed team working to make business more human. Since 2009, we’ve been in the live chat business, helping tens of thousands of customers support their customers with our chatbox.
We believe that customer service is essential to all types of businesses including our own business - which is reflected in our All Hands Support model. Our passion and dedication to our customers is a direct result of us putting our people first.
This is a unique point in our company history. As we move into our tenth year of business, we are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Marketing Visual Designer to play an essential role in using visual communications to generate demand and sales for Olark products, and help drive forward our brand platform.
If you are excited about branding, digital ads, website & email design, taking our visual style and communications to a new level while playing an instrumental role in Olark’s next phase of growth — reaching thousands more small businesses — we’d love to talk to you.
Note: this is a fully remote position. You can be based anywhere in the United States or Canada.
Expectations for this position:
- Creating an incredible first impression: This position is for a marketing visual designer on our marketing team, to focus on creating an excellent first impression of Olark and increasing our customer base. You’ll collaborate with members of our marketing and design teams, creating visual concepts to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate our customers.
- Representing our brand: Building Olark’s brand through innovative and consistent development and application of our style guides is essential for building trust and growing our reputation. Each of our products exist to help small teams listen, learn and improve to make their business grow in a more human way. You’ll work to push our brand forward creatively and responsibly, knowing when to use our style guides and when to build on them.
- Delivering excellent design across varied projects: Your design challenges may include: developing original imagery for our website & social media posts, designing targeted email campaigns, providing layout support for our guides & blog articles, creating advertisements & banners, designs for webinars, demos and events, designing promotional swag, motion animation for social media, and transforming data into beautiful infographics. You’ll have a high degree of flexibility to try new visual communication methods that will help us achieve our business goals.
- Putting the customer first: Like everyone at Olark, you’ll strive to understand and empathize with our users, and put them at the heart of your design process and new concept ideation.
- Strategic thinker who can focus on details: You are able to zoom out to develop the right plans and zoom in to execute your plans well.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills: You have the ability to manage a wide range of topics and projects at one time.
- Self-directed, but also open to collaboration: You are happy to work independently, but know when to ask for help. You know how to give, and receive, direct feedback. You are a team player, comfortable both contributing to and leading projects. You see ambiguity as an opportunity to experiment.
- Excellent communicator: You are able to clearly communicate your thoughts, especially in text based and visual communication. You know when a conversation should be in chat, video, or face-to-face.
- Rigorously Creative: You’ll maintain a high-level of aesthetic quality across projects. You are able to take complex design challenges and develop fresh, creative solutions.
- Empathetic: You realize listening is just as important as speaking your mind. You assume good faith of your teammates when there is conflict and are curious about understanding their perspectives.
- Comfortable working remotely: Our team is distributed and you’ll communicate via remote tools: we use Gmail, Slack, JIRA, Zoom, Sketch, Craft, and Invision.
- Value time: You’ll ensure that things are getting done on time and within scope. You’ll work to set expectations clearly at the beginning of each project.
- Important: we'll need to see your portfolio site, so be sure to include a URL when applying.
- 5+ years of design experience, agency experience a plus
- Excellent visual design skills, including an eye for typography, composition, and use of color; Illustration skills a plus
- Mastery of visual design software (Photoshop/Illustrator/Sketch)
- Ability to collaborate with design and marketing teams
- Ability to take creative direction and constructive criticism
- A bonus: Ability to implement your web designs & animations with basic HTML/CSS
You will help us solve key Marketing challenges:
- Use the power of marketing creative design to transform Olark’s external market and customer communications to drive new business.
- Be instrumental in pushing Olark’s brand forward to help us achieve our strategic goals and vision for the company
You can expect a lot from us:
First off, make sure to read about our team culture at olark.com/jobs, and our values at olark.com/values. Beyond what you see there, as a member of the Marketing team you can expect:
- A great remote culture and team: Even though we’re remote, our team makes the effort to connect to one another and we provide in person opportunities to further enhance that bond. We genuinely like each other.
- Weekly required Marketing meetings, 1-on-1 manager meetings, and team wide sync.
- A life outside of work: Olarkers generally work 40 hour weeks. Work is a marathon, not a sprint. We are building a company for the long haul.
- Great compensation and benefits: competitive pay, phone/internet stipend, health benefits, paid parental leave, annual $1K vacation bonus, 401k, and charitable donation matching.
Olark is committed to diversity in its workforce. Olark is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.