Senior Full Stack Rails Engineer
Headquarters: Kansas City, MO
We are looking for a few talented and experienced full-stack Ruby on Rails developers to join our small-but-mighty team, either remotely or in Kansas City.
Working with a small team of very talented engineers, designers, and operators, you’ll play an important role building an incredibly unique, local marketplace. We’re a small company and a tight-knit team working on problems no other business has solved. Everyone on the team is mission-critical. Here are some of the things we'll want you to work on:
- Building features that small business owners and homeowners rely on daily to get real jobs done. There are so many interesting problems to solve around building and maintaining trust, creating efficiencies for different kinds of small, local businesses, creating transparency in the market – the list goes on and on.
- Collaborating with our designers to understand our users and guide product decisions. Ultimately, every one of our users will interact with code you’ve written, so we hope you care deeply about their experience.
- Improving our codebase. Our team constantly strives to be more and more intentional about writing clean, maintainable code that we can be proud of. We strive to be good at both giving and receiving code review.
- Helping to keep big projects on track without a lot of day-to-day intervention from managers. We’re looking for engineers who take a holistic view of what they’re working on and are more than just ticket-takers.
- We're currently piloting a workflow modeled on Basecamp's Shape Up book, and while we may not follow it to the letter once the pilot is over, we're looking for folks who would be excited to work in a system like that.
- You have 3-6 years of professional experience, most of which has been spent working with a team on a web app with real users.
- You’re a life-long learner and a student of your craft – both teachable and eager to teach in order to improve our team.
- Either you are interested in working in our Kansas City office, or you have the skills you need to be a happy and successful remote team member. (Our product team is roughly 50% remote, so both of these options are totally fine. We try to bring the remote team members to town about four times a year.)
A little more about us
For the past couple of years, we've focused on a couple of mid-sized markets to make sure we really got the basic experience right for both service experts and homeowners. In order to scale to new markets, we are improving and automating a lot of our manual operations and making our product more useful, usable, and delightful across the board.
Our full-time product team (developers and designers) currently has about 7 members, plus a few part-time contractors who help us with our mobile apps.