Voter Mobilization Director
Voter Mobilization Director: Vote Captains (Temp 2020, Remote) at MoveOn
Apply here: https://grnh.se/41ff4a101us
Anywhere in the Continental US
Full-time, Exempt • Starts ASAP/June 1, 2020, Ends November 30, 2020 • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. We are working to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020 by building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement that will give voters something to vote for, not just against—and we're also working to defend communities that are on the front lines of Trump and GOP attacks, including immigrants, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and women. In service of that mission, in 2020 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
About the Position
The Voter Mobilization Director: Vote Captains is an experienced scaled organizing project manager, relational organizer, and leader who is excited and passionate about driving MoveOn’s Vote Captain relational organizing program that uses every tool at MoveOn’s disposal -- and a massive base of millions of members -- to inspire battleground state voters to turn out to defeat Donald Trump. We are looking for a rigorous, excellent organizer of organizers who knows how to motivate and drive volunteers to action, in particular in a digital context.
The goal of the 2020 Voter Mobilization Team at MoveOn is to turn out 100,000 voters as safely as possible across nine battleground states to vote to defeat Donald Trump, with a focus on who we call “high potential voters” (traditionally called “low propensity voters”) -- young voters, first-time voters, people of color, new Americans and low-income voters who may not have otherwise voted. We also seek to build durable, progressive people power to expand the MoveOn community for ongoing organizing to win positive change in people’s lives in 2020, 2021, and beyond.
A core part of our strategy to accomplish this goal is to recruit, train, and organize thousands of “Vote Captains” to take responsibility for safely turning out 10 people they already know to vote in order to drive turnout to defeat Donald Trump. Vote Captains will call, text, DM, and use a variety of digital and other safe tactics to make sure their 10 voters can cast their votes safely during early voting and/or on Election Day (this includes helping them to make sure they are registered to vote or get registered in time, and helping them to figure out how and when they will vote and what’s required for that, like how to apply for an absentee ballot or cast their vote by mail in time, or how to vote in person safely). Vote Captains will also have the opportunity to join MoveOn’s Volunteer Network to build relationships with and organize in the long term with fellow activists.
We are also hiring a Digital Voter Mobilization Director --distinct from this role -- who will focus on implementing digital or mobile scalable tactics to drive Democratic voter turnout such as collecting “vote tripling” pledges through p2p, sms broadcast, digital ads, online events, and more. You can find that role here: https://front.moveon.org/careers/?gh_jid=2183740
- Responsible for the successful scaling and implementation of MoveOn’s Vote Captains relational organizing program to turn out high potential voters and develop volunteer leadership
- Project Management:
- Build and maintain MoveOn’s voter mobilization task management system and run weekly voter mobilization meetings as they relate to the Vote Captains program, coordinating closely with the Volunteer Network Director, Training Director, and other staff.
- Create and manage a detailed content calendar for Vote Captains (email, SMS, online events, Mobilize community app, etc) designed to build Vote Captains’ skills and leadership, develop relationships and community among Vote Captains, and retain them in the program.
- Create systems for program accountability and evaluation, such as drafting core metrics, designing regular feedback loops from vote captains, customizing a dashboard, writing weekly progress reports, and organizing and writing a comprehensive Vote Captains debrief report after the conclusion of the election.
- Ensure the Vote Captains plan and implementation is legally compliant and respectful of MoveOn’s allies.
- Liaise with external partners to amplify the Vote Captains voter mobilization work.
- Strategy and Implementation:
- Recruit and retain thousands of Vote Captains across nine states. You create and implement a multichannel recruitment, retention, and organizing strategy that could include peer to peer SMS, digital ads, email, distributed virtual events, MoveOn’s existing Mobilizer community of trained action-takers, and other creative tactics with clear benchmarks that increase over time, working with teammates who manage those realms. You draft and send recruitment materials through appropriate signoff processes. You get on the phone or video with volunteers from time to time!
- Design and manage scaled, horizontal & vertical systems of support for up to 5,000 Vote Captains. One example of this could be building scaffolds of support within MoveOn’s existing communications platform for active volunteer leaders; or a scaled coaching structure (ex 15 volunteer coaches that you recruit and manage); or a FAQbot or an email support listserv. You propose and build out the system to support Vote Captains and develop leaders, working closely with the Community Support Manager to leverage scaled volunteer systems already in place, and build new ones for the support of Vote Captains.
- Write and edit creative, engaging copy for multiple platforms and audiences that inspire members and voters to take online action. You will write, write, write on a daily and weekly basis for this role in particular -- everything from emails, to social posts, to sms scripts to implement these tactics and to fundraise for this work.
- Participate in and organize brainstorms for MoveOn’s election work.
- Experience designing and running digital organizing program(s) at scale; that is, setting up scaled systems of support that have a multiplying effect, preferably in a national or multi-state context.
- Minimum 1 cycle of election experience in a management role. Preference for experience turning out first-time or infrequent voters.
- Experience with what some call “relational” organizing: organizing volunteers to turn out their own friends and family to vote rather than the traditional campaign model of calling, texting, or knocking on the doors of strangers.
- Demonstrated practice of centering equity, especially racial equity, in decision-making and daily work
- Experience successfully inspiring, motivating, managing and coaching volunteers and staff.
- Demonstrated nimbleness; if this program doesn’t work, can shift and adapt quickly
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills, including effectiveness as a storyteller able to engage multiple audiences, from inspiring groups of volunteers to running team meetings
- Tech savvy, must be comfortable in a digital-first environment.
- Experience with cross-organizational collaboration; ability to internally organize to achieve collective buy-in and give, receive, and integrate feedback to/from programmatic colleagues
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States. May require occasional travel.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work, and paid family medical leave; staff holidays, professional development budget of $1,000, monthly cell phone and internet reimbursement of $175 per month, home office subsidy, and everything needed for a home office.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
To apply: https://grnh.se/41ff4a101us
All jobs at MoveOn
|Voter Mobilization Director|
|Digital Voter Mobilization Director (Temp 2020, Remote) at MoveOn|
|Product Manager (Contract)|